Minimising Outgoings

Get help with your energy bills

If you’re worried about your energy bills, we’re here.

Read our self-help advice 

You can contact Energy Projects Plus 0800 043 0151 for energy advice and tips. If you have fuel debts please contact Citizens Advice Wirral and ask for support to help write off your fuel debts

Get money off your Council tax bill

You may be entitled to Council Tax Support if you are a single person, a care leaver or if someone in your household has a disability.

Do you know some people are not counted, when working out the number of adults in your household including full time students, student nurses, apprentices earning £195?

If you live in Wirral please click here. If you live in another area Google your council name and council tax discount

Deal with your debts

If you have debts and are struggling to pay, there are things you can do to help you get out of debt.

There are different options depending on whether you have enough money to pay off the debts or if you have little or no money to pay off your debts. You might also be able to get breathing space from your creditors if you are getting mental health crisis treatment.

Don’t lose sleep over your debts, find out more about your options here.

Get support to stop smoking and save money

Do you know how much you could save by stopping smoking – click here to calculate how much you could save.

ABL provide great support if you want to stop smoking, click here to access their services.

Check if you could save money on your water bills

If you have a water meter you’ll only pay for the water you use. Use the Consumer Council for Water calculator to check if having a water meter installed could save you money.

If a water meter doesn’t save you money you can change back within 12 months of installation. After 12 months you can’t go back to unmetered billing.

If you’re on a low income you might be able to get a cheaper rate from your water company. Find out more here

You may be able to save money on your broadband, phone or TV provider

You might be able to save money by switching to:

  • a new provider for your broadband, mobile phone, home phone or TV
  • a bundle or combination deal

Find out more here

Get help with your gambling

Gambling costs money and can become harmful. To not lose money, it is best not to gamble.

If gambling problems are affecting you or someone you care about, you can read more information and live chat to an advisor at

On a pre-payment meter? Make sure your energy supplier has your up to date details to get the £400 energy discount

If you top up at a shop or Post Office, you’ll get the £400 energy discount in vouchers. Make sure your supplier has your up-to-date contact details.

Find out more information here

Heat your home to an adequate level and save money

Do you know what temperature your heating is set at? If its too high it will be costing you more.

A comfortable level for health adults is around 18-21C. The recommended temperature for vulnerable groups such as babies, older people, or disabled people is around 21-23C. Reducing your heating even by 1C (within comfortable levels) will save you money.

Managing your money using savings pots, jam jars or piggybanking

Visit the Money Helper website for more information

Reducing journeys or the cost of your travel

Reduce the amount of journeys you make by car or public transport to save on travel costs. Can you walk or cycle shorter journeys? Can you buy a bike through your employers cycle to work scheme? Ask at your workplace if they have a cycle scheme.

Can you walk the kids to school, walk to the local shops instead of driving? Can you do a big monthly shop in the car, then make smaller trips to the shops by walking? To find out more about walking, cycling or taking public transport click here

Reduce or stop drinking

The average UK Household spends £17.60 per week on alcohol. It can be more or less depending on how often you drink, and where you drink such as in the house or when you are out. Based on the average household, if you cut your drinking by half, you could save £500 per year. If you spend more than £17.60 per week in your household at the moment, you could save even more.

Want to change your drinking habits, there are lots of tips at

In Wirral CGL can help you with drink or drug problems. To find out more, click here

When to appeal a parking ticket

Check on this link if there is a reason you can appeal a parking ticket. It’s free to make an informal appeal by contacting whoever gave you the parking ticket, so it’s well worth trying.

You can’t be taken to court while you’re informally appealing, so your credit rating won’t be affected. You’ll only be taken to court if your appeal is unsuccessful, and you don’t pay the ticket or appeal to a tribunal.

How to get a refund on a delayed or cancelled train ticket

If your train has been delayed or cancelled you may be able to get a refund. More information can be found here

Reduce your childcare costs

Whether you have toddlers or teens, you could get Government help with childcare costs for parents. Find out how you can save money on your childcare at 

Blue Badges

Blue badges help people with disabilities or health conditions park closer to their destination. You can apply for a badge for yourself, on behalf of somebody else or an organisation that transports people that need a Blue Badge.

Who can get a blue badge?

Blue badges and disabled parking

Heat your home to an adequate temperature and save money

Do you know what temperature your heating is set at? If it’s too high it will cost you more. A comfortable level for healthy adults is around 18-21C. The recommended temperature for vulnerable groups such as babies, older people, or disabled people is around 21-23C. Reducing your heating even by 1C (within comfortable levels) will save you money.

Free travel for people with a disability

Do you qualify for free travel?

Merseytravel offers free travel on all buses, trains and Mersey Ferries river crossings for anyone with certain disabilities who lives in Merseyside. You may qualify for an English National Concessionary Travel Pass if you meet the conditions of any of the seven categories of disability defined in the Transport Act 2000.

Are your children entitled to free school meals?

Your child will automatically get free school meals if they’re in Reception class or Year 1 or 2.

For children in Year 3 and above you can apply for free school meals for your children if you get certain benefits or you’re not allowed to claim benefits because of your immigration status. Find out more here.

Contact your child’s school if you are eligible for free school meals and they will help you get set up

Prescriptions – are you entitled to free prescriptions or could you save money on your prescriptions

Lots of people can get free prescriptions including people aged over 60, aged under 16, aged 16-18 (if in full time education), if you are pregnant or have had a baby in the past 12 months, if you have a medical exemption certificate (for people with some medical conditions or some physical disabilities), are an NHS inpatient or hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability or are on specific benefits.

Check if you are eligible for free prescriptions here.

NHS Prescription Prepayment certificates could save you money if you pay for your prescriptions. The certificate covers all your NHS prescriptions for a set price. You will save money if you need more than 3 items in 3 months, or 11 items in 12 months. Find out more here.

Reduce your food bills

Ditch the takeaways and try these great recipes, designed especially for cooking on a low budget. You will be amazed at how much money you will save! Find them here.