Let’s talk about gambling, betting and gaming
We’re here to help.
If you feel you, or someone you know has a gambling problem then here is how to access our service:
* Reach us directly by selecting the email advice button on our website and fill in the form
* Email the words: Gambling Support and your contact details to – email@example.com
What is gambling?
You’re gambling if you take a risk of losing money, or belongings, based on chance.
Lots of gambling seems very normal and is easy to access. All of these things are gambling:
- Lotteries, including on social media
- Gaming machines
- Sports betting
- Crypto or currency trading
It’s gambling whether you go to a certain place like a betting shop, or if you do it online or through your phone.
Online gaming can also include gambling and sometimes this can be aimed at children:
- Apps or downloaded games which ask for ‘in-game’ purchases
- Loot boxes
- Skin betting
It’s also gambling if you have a casual bet with a friend. There’s always a risk of losing.
Signs of harmful gambling:
- Being preoccupied with gambling
- Needing to gamble with increasing amounts of money to get the same thrill and/or chasing losses
- Trying to control, cut back or stop gambling, without success
- Spending more time and money than you can afford to lose on gambling
Have you been affected by someone else’s gambling?
- Are you concerned about a family member or friend’s gambling?
- Have you been impacted financially or emotionally by someone else’s gambling activity?
- If the answer is yes, then you can also access help and support
If gambling has affected you it can be hard to talk about it.
You’re not alone, there’s help and support available and we can help you move forward.
Our specialist gambling support staff can help with your social, emotional and practical issues.
Our Adviser helps with financial issues while our Social Prescribing Link Worker can support with other difficulties impacting your overall wellbeing.
Gambling can cause other problems such as:
- Housing problems
- Mental health
- Employment and education
- Family or relationship issues
Free specialist support for anyone age 16+ affected by gambling. Tel: 0151 226 0696